Rockford Personal Injury Lawyer
Rockford Personal Injury Lawyer
Don’t let someone else’s negligence impact your life and finances, a Rockford personal injury attorney can help make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been hurt in an accident and were not at fault, you could receive compensation through a personal injury claim. An injury can leave you overwhelmed by medical debt, lost income, and pain and suffering. It can have a negative impact on your quality of life for years to come.
Start putting your life back together by seeking compensation for the losses you’ve incurred. Insurance companies are notorious for not offering the proper compensation you deserve. With the right attorney, you can fight back and make sure you secure every penny your claim warrants.
A Rockford personal injury lawyer from Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC can help you determine what your claim is worth and obtain the full amount.
Investigating Who Caused Your Injury
The first step in seeking injury compensation after an accident is identifying who is at fault for the accident that injured you. Catastrophic injuries can result from a variety of sources. Holding everyone who played a role in your accident accountable will enable you to maximize the value of your claim.
Your Rockford injury attorney will do the legwork necessary to investigate and determine whether more than one person should be named in your lawsuit.
A qualified personal injury attorney will find all of the available evidence surrounding your injury. By thoroughly examining police reports, medical records, photos, video, and witness statements related to your accident, your lawyer will make sure no stone is left unturned to complete your claim.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
If someone else has caused you bodily harm, you could qualify for a personal injury settlement. But it’s essential to be able to prove the guilty party is at fault. Without proper proof, the value of your claim can tank. That’s why you may need to call upon the experience and knowledge of a Rockford accident injury attorney as soon as possible.
The following are a few common scenarios a personal injury attorney from Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC can assist you with:
- Traffic Accidents – Whether your Rockford crash involved a car, truck, or motorcycle, you can seek damages from the at-fault driver, trucking company, parts manufacturer, road crew, or government agency for the harm they have caused.
- Construction Site or Workplace Accidents – You may be entitled to more than just workers compensation if a third party from outside your company was partially or fully responsible; you could be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit for your losses.
- Premises Liability – Property owners and managers have a responsibility to ensure your safety when you’re a guest on their property. This means they’re on the hook for dog bites, slippery surfaces, and other unsafe conditions you’re subjected to while on the premises.
- Product Liability – If you’ve experienced side effects from a defective drug or have been injured by an improperly labeled or malfunctioning product, it might be possible to hold the manufacturer, advertiser, shipper, or retailer financially accountable.
- Assault or Battery – If someone assails you or threatens you with bodily injury, that individual may be liable for your damages in civil court.
- Nursing Home Abuse – Negligence or abuse toward your vulnerable loved ones by careless or cruel caretakers can be grounds for investigation and a hefty claim for compensation.
Fighting Insurance Companies
Once you have established who was at fault for your injuries, the next step is to work with your Rockford injury attorney from Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC to assess the total value of your claim.
In most cases, insurance companies will want to settle a claim as quickly as possible for the smallest dollar amount they can get you to accept. They don’t want to risk a lawyer getting involved, so they strike early, when you’re feeling the most vulnerable. Don’t sign anything until you and your attorney have determined what your claim is truly worth. A fair settlement depends on that.
Did You Suffer Serious Injuries?
Certain injuries can have a much larger impact on your finances than others will. They also have the potential to cause long-term health problems that should be considered when determining your claim’s worth.
The following are some of the most common types of catastrophic injuries that lead to Rockford personal injury claims:
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Broken bones and torn ligaments
- Severe burns
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Wrongful death
To make sure you’re not being shortchanged, let a qualified Rockford accident injury lawyer evaluate any settlement offer you receive before you even consider accepting it. Your financial and physical wellbeing may depend upon your lawyer’s guidance, so never rush into a settlement without legal help at your side.
Understanding Comparative Negligence in Illinois
Proving fault is an essential component of any successful Rockford personal injury claim, but what happens if you hold part—but not all—of the blame? That’s where the doctrine of comparative negligence could come in.
This policy allows for parties involved in Illinois injury cases to share the fault for a given accident. Even if you’re the victim filing the claim for compensation, that can include you. And that would mean your total compensation would be reduced proportionally to the amount of responsibility you’re deemed to hold.
If, for example, you were speeding at the moment a truck barreled through a red light and T-boned your car, you might be found to hold 20 percent of the blame, while the trucker might hold the remaining 80 percent. In that scenario, if you were awarded $1 million, your 20 percent of the blame would be subtracted to leave you with $800,000.
Your Personal Injury Compensation
An injury can impact your life and finances for years, making it imperative that you know what your claim is worth before accepting any settlement offer. An injury attorney from Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC will help you identify every loss you’ve incurred and what damages you may be owed.
These are just a few of the items that should be considered when placing an appropriate value on your claim:
- Medical expenses and therapy
- Lost wages and reduced future earnings
- Property damage, including vehicle repairs, rental cars, and similar fees
- The cost of retrofitting your home or car to accommodate your injury or disability
If quality-of-life damages have occurred as a result of your personal injury, you will want to discuss the following items with your Rockford accident injury attorney to make sure these non-economic damages are included in your claim:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Social anxiety caused by scarring or disfigurement
- Lost interest in hobbies and community
- Diminished quality of life overall
Working with both your lawyer and your doctor will allow you to assess what your recovery will cost, how your quality of life will be affected, and how your injury might affect you in the long term. Securing a fair and comprehensive settlement is ultimately a way to look out for your future.
Contact a Rockford Serious Injury Lawyer
Do what it takes to receive full and fair compensation for your injury claim. Reach out to an attorney at Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC today. We offer all new clients a no-obligation consultation to discuss the details of their case free of charge. To speak with a Rockford personal injury lawyer, give us a call at 815-656-4600 or complete the form at the bottom of this page.