Rockford Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Rockford Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Get justice for your loved one by working with a Rockford nursing home abuse attorney.
Almost 10 percent of Americans older than sixty have suffered some sort of elder abuse. Unfortunately, many of those cases occur in nursing homes—the places we trust with the care of our elderly loved ones.
Elder abuse and neglect in any form is a tragedy, but it’s made even worse when it goes unreported or the abuser isn’t brought to justice. Luckily, many people whose elderly loved ones have become victims of elder abuse choose to work with experienced lawyers who can help hold abusers and those responsible for neglect accountable.
At Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC, we fight hard for the rights of our elders and their families after they have suffered abuse in a nursing home. To get a qualified legal ally in your corner as you seek justice, get in touch with a Rockford nursing home abuse lawyer.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Rockford is home to more than twenty nursing homes, according to Illinois Department of Public Health records. Sadly, the types of nursing home abuse are as numerous as the nursing home options in our city.
All forms of nursing home abuse and neglect are 100 percent unacceptable. But if your elderly loved one has been the victim of any of the following situations, you might have a viable path to holding the abuser financially accountable:
- Neglect, which includes a caregiver or facility refusing or failing to provide necessary services like feeding, medication, and many others
- Physical abuse, including shoving, hitting, and slapping
- Scaring, taunting, humiliating, harassing, and other forms of emotional abuse
- Sexual abuse of any kind
- Unreasonable or unnecessary restraint or confinement
If your loved one has been the victim of any of these abuses, it’s time to hold the responsible party accountable. And a Rockford nursing home neglect lawyer can help.
Identifying the Abuser
If you’re like most people, you’re unable to be with your elderly loved one twenty-four hours a day. That’s why you entrusted your loved one’s care to a supposedly reputable nursing home and its staff.
That means you don’t always see what goes on in the course of your loved one’s day. But these details could point in the direction of the person who should be held financially accountable for your elderly loved one’s abuse. A Rockford elder abuse attorney can help you identify the person you should name in your claim for compensation.
The following parties could be responsible for the abuse or neglect of your loved one:
- The Nursing Home – The facility housing your loved one is likely to be liable for any abuse he or she suffered. That’s because the nursing home is responsible for hiring and training competent, qualified staff members and making sure everything is up to acceptable standards.
- A Staff Member – Often, an individual staff member will be held responsible for a case of nursing home abuse. Abusive employees should face criminal charges, but you can also name them in your civil claim to make sure your loved one is fully compensated by everyone responsible.
- A Third Party – Nursing homes often allow third parties to administer services in their facilities. If any third party played even a small role in what happened to your loved one, your Rockford assisted living abuse lawyer can help you hold the person or company accountable.
The Compensation Your Loved One Deserves
Nursing home neglect and abuse shouldn’t go unpunished, and your loved one shouldn’t go without compensation for all the abuses he or she has endured. As you build your claim, your nursing home abuse attorney in Rockford can help you identify all the ways the abuse or neglect has impacted your elderly loved one’s life.
Then, we’ll assign a value to these damages and demand compensation for them in your claim. Some nursing home abuse damages you might be able to list in your claim include the following:
- Medical expenses related to the abuse
- Emotional trauma your loved one suffered
- Therapy for your loved one
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
Call a Rockford Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
You and your loved one deserve compensation after your loved one has been victimized by someone who was supposed to provide care. That’s reason enough to file a personal injury claim. There is, however, another reason. Holding the negligent or abusive facility responsible for its misdeeds will, hopefully, prevent it from hurting anyone else in the future.
We’re prepared to help you get justice and the compensation you and your elderly loved one need to move forward. To speak with a Rockford nursing home abuse lawyer, give Mahoney & Mahoney, LLC a call at 815-656-4600 or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of the page.